Butternut & Mac Cupcakes
- half-dozen cup cake tin for medium-sized cupcakes
- rubber spatula
- oven mits
- measuring spoons
- measuring cup(s)
- 1 cup butternut squash canned or fresh, puréed
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter or regular, unsalted if you wish
- ¾ cup oat milk almond, hemp or any unsweetend plant milk
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup aquafaba (see step 3 below for aqua faba whip instructions)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh and more to taste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- pepper freshley cracked or white to taste
- 3 teaspoons miso yellow
- 16 ounces chickpea pasta elbow pasta- preferabley gluten-free, but standard too if you wish
Elaboración paso a paso
- If you prefer to roast your own butternut, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray or brush the oil onto the orange flesh of each squash half. Garnish with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves cut-side down on the baking sheet. Roast for about 35 to 50 minutes, uncovered, until a fork or knife easily slides through the squash. The skin will be lightly browned and the squash may be brown in some spots (which only adds to the flavour).
- While the squash roasts, add cupcake papers to a standard cupcake tray that yields one dozen
- When there are about 20 minutes left of the squash’s roasting time, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain with cold water.
- Drain and reserve the juice (aqua faba) of one organic can of chickpeas. Place in a mixer and whip on high with one tsp of cream of tartar until it becomes soft peaks. Set to the side.
- After the squash is finished cooking, flip it flesh-side up and let it cool for 10 minutes or so before mixing into a puree.
- Stir the aquafaba into the ‘cheese’ sauce ingredients (butter, milk, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, Dijon, garlic and onion powder, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and miso) until smooth.
- Add the butternut puree and stir until fully incorporated.
- Use an ice cream scoop and evenly scoop the mac-n-cheese mixture into cupcake pan and bake for 17 minutes
- While the cupcakes bake, combine one cup of panko with one cup vegan butter in a pan and saute until light brown
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the cupcakes (along with optional shredded vegan cheese) and bake at 425 for 3 minutes
- Remove from the oven and garnish the top with a sprinkle of smoked paprika
- Let the cupcakes rest for ten minutes and serve, refrigerate, or freeze for easy reheating