These delicious plant-based carnitas are packed with authentic Mexican flavors!
Yield: 12 servings
- Cast iron or heavy skillet
- Clean towel
- Chef knife
- Cutting Board
- Platter or serving dish
- 4 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 red onion diced (one cup) or three large shallots
- 6 garlic cloves rough chopped
- 2 jalapeno thinly sliced in medallions
- 60 oz canned jackfruit drained (see instructions and video for how to)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon tamari
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon cumin powder whole cumin seeds work too
- 3 teaspoon oregano whole, dried mexican-style is preferable
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- Drain the jackfruit and cut into thin slices, slicing through the core.
- Place jackfruit in the middle of a kitchen towel, roll it up and wring it out very very firmly. Squeeze out as much water as you can. You should see quite a bit of liquid release.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil (save the other tablespoon for later) and saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno over medium heat until, about 5-6 minutes stirring often.
- Add the jackfruit, and tamari and stir well and lower heat. This is where you’ll let the moisture cook-off even more- you want to get this fairly dry but without burning. So low heat, stirring occasionally, uncovered, 3-5 minutes.
- When it seems good and dry, add the salt, sugar and spices- chili powder, cumin, oregano smoked paprika, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil – stir-frying the spices and jackfruit a bit until jackfruit begins to caramelize crisp and deepen in color.
- Plate with fresh tortillas if you wish and garnish with finishing salt, fresh cilantro, wedges of juicy lime, and any pickled veggie like sliced red onions, carrot ribbons, and or sliced radish adds pops of color and more flavor!
Taste, and adjust salt and spice level ( feel free to add cayenne, ground chipotle or more smoked paprkita). For more tang, squeeze with lime, keeping in mind jackfruit has a natural tanginess, so taste it first. Save valuable time and turn these jackfruit carnitas into tacos, enchiladas, burritos or burrito bowls, and even an unexpected breakfast with crispy potatoes and herbs.
Calories: 198.24kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.91g | Protein: 1.23g | Fat: 5.33g | Saturated Fat: 0.71g | Sodium: 319.75mg | Potassium: 232.42mg | Fiber: 2.62g | Sugar: 3.08g | Vitamin A: 367.47IU | Vitamin C: 4.88mg | Calcium: 97.32mg | Iron: 1.79mg