Mac & Cheddar Cupcakes
- cupcake tin
- cupcake papers
- mixing bowl
- cheese grater
- large pot
- 2 cups elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons panko crumbs
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 egg large, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste and finish
- ½ teaspoon pepper freshly craked if possible (optional) to finish
- 1 tsp smoked paprika for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh and minced for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- To make the topping, combine Panko, Parmesan and olive oil; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups of cheese until melted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in egg and pasta, and gently toss to combine; add paprika, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Scoop the pasta mixture evenly into the muffin tray. Sprinkle with reserved 4 tablespoons cheddar. Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Saute panko with butter until slightly golden.
- Remove mac cupcakes from oven and top with crisp breadcrumbs. Return the cupcakes to the oven for 3-5 more minutes. Be careful not to walk away, checking at the 3 minutes mark.
- Remove mac cupcakes from the oven and top with crisp breadcrumbs. Return the cupcakes to the oven for 3-5 more minutes. Be careful not to walk away, checking at the 3 minutes mark.