PB Blueberry Muffins
- muffin tin
- muffin papers
- mixing spoon
- measure spoons
- measure cup
- measuring bowls
- rubber spatula
- baking rack
- oven mitts
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened plant milk Any plant milk works
- 1 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose self-rising flour a healthier alternative is whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup oil canola, coconut, or apple sauce instead
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries organic if possible, frozen toss with flour
- 1-2 tablespoons coarse sugar optional, for sprinkling the top
- Preheat the oven to 400° F/204.4° C. Line a standard muffin pan with liners and spray them lightly with oil.
- Combine the plant milk and apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside to curdle. This is your "buttermilk".
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cornstarch.
- Pour in the plant milk-vinegar mixture, canola oil and vanilla. Stir to combine, but do not over-mix. Some small lumps are fine.
- Fold in the blueberries, gently. Using an ice cream scoop to add the batter to the liners in the pan ¾ of the way full. Top with a few extra blueberries and a sprinkle of coarse sugar if you want a crunchy top.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes, until golden brown. Poke the top with a toothpick. When it comes out clean they're ready. Cool muffins for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3 days. You can also freeze them by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and placing them in a large freezer bag.
● Make ahead and pour the batter in the lined muffin tin, then freeze. Bake them later for a quick and easy brunch.
● A swirl of blueberry jam, more blueberries, a sprinkle of coarsely-textured sugar like turbinado, and/or lemon zest can make these muffins extra-pretty.
● You can substitute whole wheat flour to be even more healthy.
● Adding 2 tablespoons of lemon zest to the batter is a nice twist, but make sure to wash the lemons well and preferably organic to avoid pesticides.