Chicken Black Bean Burritos
- Cast iron or other heavy fry pan
- Metal spatula
- Chef knife
- Cutting Board
- 4 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 red onion diced (one cup) or three large shallots
- 6 garlic cloves rough chopped
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon cumin powder whole cumin seeds work too
- 3 teaspoon oregano whole, dried mexican-style preferable
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed (optional)
- 4 chicken breasts preferably organic
- ½ red pepper sliced, length-wise
- ½ green pepper sliced, length-wise
- 11 oz black beans organic, strained and rinsed
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup yellow onion chopped
- 14 oz cheese shredded cojita, queso fresco, oaxaca, emthal or your preference
- 6 flour tortillas 8 inches, warmed
- Pat each breast dry with a paper towel, then thin-slice against the grain (¼" or so). Place chicken in a bowl. Mix together the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano smoked paprika and then coat the chicken slices evenly.
- Preheat a preferably cast-iron pan or other heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, but not smoke, sauté garlic with oil, peppers, and onions in remaining until seared and fork tender. Transfer to an oven proof plate or bowl and keep warm in the oven on low (250 degrees) heat.
- Add reserved tablespoon of oil to the pan and add reserved garlic, but careful not to burn. Swirl the garlic in the oil and add the sliced chicken. Sauté for 4 minutes or until the chicken turns white and turn up the heat to medium-high. Sear the chicken for 2-3 more minutes or until the sides are nicely brown.
- When it seems good and dry, add the salt, sugar and spices- chili powder, cumin, oregano smoked paprika, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil – stir-frying the spices and jackfruit a bit until jackfruit begins to caramelize crisp and brown.
Use Jackfruit Carnitas in tacos, enchiladas, burrito or burrito bowls, breakfast bowls.